An email to my team today:
Two big things…
1. This is a blog by a marketing pro that I can’t recommend enough. He posts daily and most of them are only a few sentences but help to take one’s thinking in a new direction.
Today’s is about media and how it’s not always a good thing. Go ahead, click on the link and read it. I’ll wait….
Oh, back so soon? Did you enjoy it? I hope so! You should subscribe!
2. The big takeaway from this post was the role media plays in our lives and what we do with our downtime. As I’ve stated before:
Professionals recognize the gap in their own knowledge and seek to fill in those gaps.
Everyone has downtime. CVI, The Lofts, Knights Circle, etc… it’s what we choose to do with that time that makes the difference between winning and losing.
- Do we increase our knowledge? Do we find a cool application that can help us easily communicate with Residents?
- Do we find a new way to follow up with prospective clients? With existing ones?
- Do we find great event/promotional things other places are doing around the country so we can steal them or adapt to our purpose?
- Do we advance our own internal processes through reading about cool new practices of other companies and start ups?
There’s no such thing as remaining “the same” – things (including us) are in either of two states: Getting better or getting worse. So which are we? This isn’t a question for a one-time decision either. This is a SERIES of choices we are constantly engaged in. Like going for a run, you don’t just decide to run for a period of time, you continuously decide to KEEP running, each step, until you don’t anymore. You didn’t make one decision to make a journey of 10,000 steps – you made 10,000 decisions to make a single step.
Do we have habits that help us? Do we do the small things that allow us to excel at the big things? What are those things we should be seeking out? What cool idea did we come up with today?
That’s why I’m asking each of you to help with our manifesto. What do we stand for, what are we passionate about, what do you LOVE about CVI? Our culture is going to be based largely on our collective feelings and thoughts and beliefs. What you care about IS what CVI cares about.
Check these puppies out :
Let’s Start Simply. What do you like that we do? What do you like about what we stand for?
What should we do? What should we stand for?
Manifestos aren’t mission statements – we have one of those and that’s mainly for us – internally. The manifesto is something we send out into the world, a herald of who we are and what we’re about. If you like our manifesto, you’re going to like us. If you don’t, then you’re not going to like us or the experience of us.
There is no CVI-Orlando. There is only Brittany, Donna, Carter, Marlee, Larry, Nick, Tara, Arianna, Christina, Sammy, Charley, Tito, Terry, David, Cathy, Margie, Wilfredo, Cecil, Vicente, etc…
So, over the next two weeks, as we enjoy a time of quiet and introspection, I’d like you to all join me in thinking of individual items that describe what is best about what we do. A few off the top of my head:
- We believe in being candid with our Residents, Team members, and vendors.
- Our creativity and drive are indispensable – we won’t be is without them!
- Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.
- Life is complicated enough– we seek to simplify in everything we do.
- We figure out how to do new things we’ve never done before so we can achieve like never before.
- We make our product bigger than the sum of its parts.
- We’re committed to everyone’s success.
What matters and what do you think?
Leave a Reply